Enterprise Social Networks Software Comparison
Enterprise social networking is the organization’s use of social media, usually internally and could be used also externally, to connect individuals who share similar business and professional interests or activities. The ESN streamlines communication among co-workers. It gives employees a sense of online community and help forge connections between departments, especially within larger corporations.
This is about the ability given to an employee to participate in an enterprise communication and discussions using :
- Forums or groups
- Blogs, content and comments/feedbacks
- Moderation and posting restriction (read, write)
Collaboration And Exchange
This is when employees are able to collaborate across all levels of an organization using:
- Workspaces that can be public or private
- File sharing and document collaboration (WebDAV, versionning, exporting to different formats, email ..etc)
- Rich collaborative functionalities like wiki-pages, microblogs, discussion forums ..etc
Social Networking And People Search
Employees are enabled to expand their their business/professional network in function of other user’s profiles and their contact details, skills, expertise and even interests.
Some of the feature used in social networking and expert search are:
- Connecting with other employees
- A rich internal search engine to facilitate people search
- The aggregation of users’ activities
- The recommendation feature for content or people
- The visualization of relationship networks and users hiearchy
Personal Information Management
Employees are enabled to have a public and a private personal space and to access to other’s public personal spaces.
A user could have:
- Personal user space with administration dashboard
- An aggregated activity streamline
- Personal blog, wiki ..etc
- More advanced features like bookmark and sharing
Project management and collaboration
Users are enabled to work on dedicated and collaborative spaces of projects.
- Have support feature
- Manage documents and files exchange and versionning
- Plan and progress on todo and task lists
- Access to project calendars
- Track time and coordinate tasks and project requirements
ESN Softwares – Available market solutions
Our attention will focus on some tools we chose beforehand.
Confluence is team collaboration software. Written in Java and mainly used in corporate environments,it is developed and marketed by Atlassian. Confluence is sold as either on-premises software or as a hosted solution.
This solution could be integrated with Jira and optimized for teams working with Agile methodology.
Some companies using Atlassian products:
Elgg is open source social networking software that provides individuals and organizations with the components needed to create an online social environment. It offers blogging, microblogging, file sharing, networking, groups and a number of other features. It was also the first platform to bring ideas from commercial social networking platforms to educational software.
This software is used by:
- Royal College of British Architects
- Australian Government
- British Government
- Government of Canada (at the Federal level only)
- New Zealand Ministry of Education
- Canadian Employment and Immigration Union
- The World Bank
- Harvard University Extension School
Intranet Connections Intranet 2.0 Software is out-of-the-box intranet software that combines core tools, intranet tasks and employee collaboration in an easy to use and turnkey environment. More than 1400 organizations world-wide are using Intranet Connections as their intranet software and the company has a strong vertical within financial and health sectors.
This software is used by:
- University of Washington
Jamroom is a community CMS built to be fast and flexible.
It has :
- social features for creating any type of community site and 100+ modules and skins .
- Unique multi-user and media features you won’t find in other systems
- 11+ years of active development
- Support with a user forum and dedicated support plans
- Jamroom could be hosted using Jamroom hosting service or in a private hosting.
Jamroom is an Open Source software under Mozilla Public License and eequires Apache Web Server, PHP 5.3+ and MySQL 5.1+
Socialtext Incorporated is a company based in Palo Alto, California, that produces enterprise social software. Its integrated suite of web-based social software applications includes microblogging, user profile, directories, groups, personal dashboards using OpenSocial widgets, shared spreadsheet, wiki, and weblog collaboration tools, and mobile apps.
Socialtext’s technical features include LDAP and Active Directory integration, Single Sign-On, REST API, and connectors to Salesforce and Sharepoint.
On May 1, 2012, Socialtext was acquired by Bedford Funding, a $1.4 billion private equity firm that also owns Peoplefluent.
Socialtext products include:
- Socialtext Signals – microblogging
- Socialtext People – user profiles and directories
- Socialtext Workspace – shared spreadsheets, wiki pages, and internal blogs
- Socialtext Groups – lightweight collections of collaborating people and workspaces
- Socialtext Dashboard – OpenSocial widget based personal dashboard
- Socialtext Activity Streams – integrated real-time activity reporting from all products
- Socialtext Mobile – browser-based interface tailored for mobile access
- Socialtext Desktop – full-function desktop client
- Socialtext Connect – complete ReST API for integration with other enterprise applications
Socialtext products are used by:
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- The Washington Post